My shopping cart
Your cart is currently empty.Continue Shopping
Choosing the right office chair can be a challenge – what should you look for and how do you know if a chair is right for you? Studies have proven the link between office chairs and productivity, yet oftentimes buyers only compare costs.
The right office chair will help you maintain a comfortable sitting position for an extended period of time, and without exerting strain on the back. When seated at your office desk, your thighs should be horizontal to the floor, your feet flat on the floor, and your elbows level with the desk.
The ideal office chair should facilitate all of the above with ease, and identifying the features that define an ergonomic chair will help with making an informed choice. We’ve put together a list of 10 things to consider when shopping for a new office chair.
1. An adjustable seat height tops the list in ergonomic considerations. It’s vital to perfectly adjust the height to suit the user, especially if other people will be using the same workstation. Controls should be within easy reach – you should be able to easily make adjustments to adjust the height, tilt and swivel of the chair while sitting in it. Look for pneumatic levers or gas lifts.
2. An ergonomic office chair should provide adequate lumbar support to endure that you can sit comfortably for an extended period of time. Sitting for a long time without any lumbar support can lead to slouching and strain the lumbar region of the spine. However, the office chair should not be too highly contoured as this can negatively affect posture.
3. The width and depth of the chair should easily allow for you to rest comfortably against the backrest, with your knees 2 to 4 inches away from the edge of the seat. Some chairs allow for the depth to be adjusted by moving the seat back and forth, and others have a backrest that can move backwards and forwards.
4. Fabric and Padding – a cloth seat is better for extended computer use, while leather is easier to keep clean if you tend to eat your lunch at your desk. Padding is not a factor you want to cut costs on. A good office chair should have padded edges all around and be rounded in the front in a ‘waterfall’ design, which helps protect blood circulation. Padding should also be firm and allow for air circulation. Some modern office chairs have a plastic mesh seating which replaces padding and moulds to the user’s unique contours – this would work best where the workstation is specific to one person.
5. Adjustable Backrest – ideally you should be able to tilt the backrest forward or backwards and adjust its height.
6. Armrest – this is optional rather than essential, depending on your personal preference for keeping your arms and shoulders relaxed and comfortable. These could be padded or not, and preference should be determined by user testing.
7. Swivel – being able to rotate 360 degrees in your chair gives you easy access to everything you need, and makes you feel like a boss.
8. Wheels are ergonomically recommended, allowing for ease of movement around the workstation, or for you to move the chair around your office space easily. Metal wheels are more durable but will be a bit more costly. Rubber- covered casters work best for a hard surface, while metal-covered wheels are best for a carpeted office.
9. Overall durability – to ensure your office workhorse is built to last, check the production standards meet regulation standards as far as strength, durability and stability.
10. Eco-friendliness – if you’d like to ensure you’re doing your bit for the environment when shopping for your new office chair, look for a chair made from sustainable or recycled materials, using renewable energy and with low levels of production emissions as well as minimal packaging waste.
With the above considerations in mind, it’s clear that testing out an office chair before purchasing is likely to deliver the most suitable workstation chair for your needs. Momentum Interiors offers ergonomic workstation and executive chairs, that provide superior lumbar support and durability and deliver the greatest comfort and productivity.
Our Cosm Medium Back Chair offers harmonious design and functional aesthetics for the ultimate in office comfort. The Mirra-2 Chair by Herman Miller with state-of-the-art mesh upholstery features a dynamic surface that responds intuitively to your movements and delivers personalised ergonomics.
Our interior architects can also assist with a 3D rendering of the best layouts for your office space. Contact Momentum Interiors with your project details and let us supply you with a custom quote.